This is such a vague and overused expression that has left us more confused than anything else. The foods we eat can be very emotional for us as it’s often associated with special family traditions, but not all are created equal.
Here are some guidelines I try and follow:
- The Environmental Working Group clean 15 and dirty dozen – these are the foods they’ve identified as having the least and most amounts of harmful pesticides.
- Don’t buy GMO (genetically modified organisms) foods.
- Eat plants, not foods produced in plants – eating foods like fresh fruits, vegetables, legumes, whole grains in as much in their natural state will ensure you’re not consuming highly processed foods with harmful chemicals.
- Watch for added oils, salts and sugars – these can cause inflammation leading to disease.
- Watch for additives – foods colourings and natural flavours can wreak havoc in the body.