Makes: 20 balls
- 2 cups of cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 cup of cooked quinoa
- 15oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup of walnut halves
- 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs
- 3 flax eggs (3 tablespoons of ground flax and 7 tablespoons of water)
- 1/2 cup of vegan parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup of fresh parsley
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons of tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Make the flax egg by mixing the ground flax and water in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a pan over medium heat, add oil, onions and garlic. Sauté until onions are translucent, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, tomato paste, tamari, Worcestershire sauce and spices. Cook until mushrooms are golden brown.
- To a food processor, add quinoa, black beans, parsley and walnuts. Pulse until the mixture has a ground beef-like consistency.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl. Add the mushrooms, flax egg, breadcrumbs and vegan parmesan, combining well. Taste for flavour and add more spices if desired. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- With a tablespoon or small ice cream scooper, scoop the mixture into balls and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown, approximately 30-45 minutes.
Tip: can be cooked in an air-fryer, for 15-20 minutes or pan fried until all sides are golden brown.