- 6 slices of day-old (see tip) whole grain bread, thickly sliced
- 1 cup of unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup of cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon of ground flax
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of maple syrup
- Zest of one orange or lemon
- Whisk together all of the ingredients in a shallow dish (minimum 1″ sides).
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Whisk the batter again and dip each slice of bread until both sides are well covered approximately 10 seconds.
- Place slices in the frying pan and cook for 2-3 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Serve with fresh fruit and maple syrup or blueberry compote.
Tip: Day-old bread works best because it doesn’t get as soggy as fresh bread does. This can be made gluten-free by substituting bread with your favourite gluten-free bread