- 2 cups of short-grain white or brown rice, cooked
- 4 large nori sheets
- 1/8 – 1/4 cup of seasoned rice vinegar
- 1/2 red, yellow and orange pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 cup of cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup of pickled ginger
- Pickled red onions, optional
- 1 spicy peanut sauce
- 1 200g extra firm tofu, pressed
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon of corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/4 cup of water, at room temp
- 1 cup of bread crumbs or panko
- Cut tofu in half length-wise and then in half again to give you 4 equal squares.
- In a shallow dish, mix the rest of the ingredients, except bread crumbs or panko, to make a batter.
- In another shallow dish, add bread crumbs and panko.
- Dip each tofu piece into the batter, coat well, then dip into bread crumbs making sure each side is covered well.
- Place each piece in the air fryer and cook for 15 minutes at 400° degrees. If you don’t have an air fryer, fry in a lightly oiled frying pan.
- In a bowl, mix rice and rice vinegar.
- To assemble, place a nori sheet on a plate and add 1/4 cup of rice down in the centre and square off to the size of a tofu square, drizzle a tablespoon of spicy peanut sauce, place a tofu piece, then layer on pickled ginger, avocado, some peppers and cilantro. Top off with some more rice and press down gently. To wrap, gentle fold in all sides to create a tight packet.
- Cut in half and serve with a drizzle of the spicy peanut sauce.