Makes: 2 cups
- 1 bunch of flat-leaf parsley, very finely chopped
- 3-4 large cloves of garlic, grated or very finely chopped
- 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil (see tip for oil-free version)
- 1/8 cup of red wine vinegar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of hot red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 large mason jar for storing
- In a bowl, add all ingredients and mix well. Taste for salt. If it’s too thick, add more red wine vinegar and olive oil a few tablespoons at a time to achieve a well-balanced oil to vinegar sauce.
- Use as a marinade for vegetables or as a salad dressing.
- Transfer remaining chimichurri into the mason jar and store in the fridge for 2-3 weeks (you will know by the colour and taste if it’s still good). Alternatively, freeze it in an ice cube tray then transfer to a freezer bag to defrost as needed.
Tips: for an oil-free version, substitute oil with 1/4 cup of lime or lemon juice. Adjust accordingly with red wine vinegar to achieve a well-balanced lime/lemon juice to red wine vinegar balance.