- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 potatoes, cubed
- 1/2 grilled and cubed acorn squash
- 2 tbsp of olive oil (use broth for oil-free)
- 6 springs of thyme
- 2 cups of brown lentils, soaked
- 900ml vegetable or mushroom broth
- 6 cups of water
- 1 bunch of swiss chard, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, add oil and sauté onion, celery and carrot until soft, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add drained lentils, potatoes, broth and water.
- Bring to a boil then simmer until potato and lentils are tender.
- Add swiss chard, grilled squash and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve with crusty bread.
Tip: soak lentils in water for a few hours or overnight to cut down cooking time.