- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 6 springs of fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons of dried thyme
- 2 cups of brown lentils
- 1-2 large potatoes (optional)
- 900ml vegetable or mushroom broth
- 6 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable bouillon
- 2 cups of kale, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, sauté leek, celery and carrot until soft (approximately 5 minutes).
- Add lentils, potatoes, broth, water and vegetable bouillon.
- Bring to a boil then simmer until lentils and potatoes are tender.
- Add kale. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with crusty bread.
Tip: Soak lentils in water for a few hours or overnight to cut down cooking time.