- 1 bunch of asparagus spears, thick bottoms removed
- 2 cups of arugula or a spring mix
- 1 large red or golden beet (or 2 small ones)
- 1 mandarin or clementine, in wedges
- 1/2 cup of pecans, cut in halves
- 1/8 cup of avocado or olive oil
- 1/4 cup of freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, roasted (see tip)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat BBQ or oven to 400°F.
- To roast the garlic, cut the tip of the entire bulb to expose a bit of the clove. Drizzle a bit of olive oil on top and wrap in foil—roast for 20 minutes.
- Mix all of the dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Wash and slice the beets, then lay them on a BBQ vegetable tray. Brush with some of the dressing and grill for 8-10 minutes on each side.
- Lay asparagus on another BBQ vegetable tray and brush with some of the dressing. Grill or bake both for 7-10 minutes (be careful not to overcook).
- To serve, spread the arugula on a platter and lay the asparagus, beets and mandarin wedges evenly. Sprinkle the pecans and drizzle the remaining dressing evenly over the entire platter.
- Enjoy as a light lunch or side salad.
- For an oil-free dressing, replace the oil with balsamic vinegar or lemon juice.
- It’s easier to roast an entire head of garlic and keep in the fridge for other dressings or marinades. Keeps well in an airtight container for up to a week.