- 1 + 3/4 cups of unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup of unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup of melted coconut oil or avocado oil
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups of unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of organic cane or date sugar
- 1 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder, dark if available
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease a springform cake pan or one large rectangular pan. Dust with cocoa powder, shake out the excess and set aside.
- Mix the unsweetened non-dairy milk and vinegar in a large mixing bowl and let sit for a few minutes. Whisk in the oil, vanilla extract and applesauce.
- Add in the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt whisk well or mix using a hand mixer. Mix until no large lumps remain – it should be creamy and pourable.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Let cool completely before cutting.
- Serve with a scoop of non-dairy ice cream or coconut whipped cream.
Tip: can be made gluten free with 1:1 all purpose glute free flour.