Makes: 1 cup
- 1 cup of raw cashews, soaked in water overnight or in boiling water for 20 minutes
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup of lime juice or 1 lime
- 1 chipotle pepper in the sauce (see tip)
- Place cashews into a bowl of water, cover and refrigerate overnight (approximately 8 hours). Alternatively, boil enough water to cover cashews and soak for 20 minutes. Soaking softens the cashews and makes them creamier.
- Drain cashews and transfer to a blender or food processor.
- Add garlic, lime juice and chipotle pepper. Blend well until smooth. If it’s too thick, add cold water a few tablespoons at a time until the desired consistency is achieved.
- Serve with cauliflower tacos or on Mexican street corn.
Tip: for a less spicy crema, swap out the chipotle for 1/4 cup of fresh cilantro.