Serves: 4 – 6
- 2 cups of brussels sprouts
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 4 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup of vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup of cranberries
- 1/2 cup of toasted sliced almonds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Glazed balsamic vinegar, optional
- Clean brussels sprouts by removing outer layers of leaves, cut stems and cut in half.
- Heat a large pan and add onions. Saute until translucent, approximately 5 minutes and add garlic. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the Brussels sprouts and saute for 5 minutes or until slightly brown.
- In a bowl, mix the vegetable stock, maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Add liquid mixture to the pan, cover and steam for 10 minutes or until sprouts are fork-tender
- In a pan while spouts are steaming, toast the almonds. This only takes a few minutes so be careful not to burn them.
- Place sprouts onto a serving dish, sprinkle with toasted almonds and drizzle with glazed balsamic if using.